Sunday, August 16, 2009

HHYT, Week 1, Day 6 and 7

It's not technically this weekend, but I'm going to write as if it is.
So on day 6, we did a lot of driving. We drove up to my great-grandma and great-great-great-aunt to visit them and celebrate my Nana's birthday. It was fun, and then we went back to the house where we sat around and did nothing due to Nana's paranoia about us breaking something. After the excruciating hour of nothing, we finally left and drove to Connecticut to visit my Dad's friend's family and their children in their new house... which is huge. Like, the size of 5 of my houses. And I have a pretty big house. Once we arrived we got ready to swim, but then it started to rain. There was this single cloud above their house. Everywhere else it was blue and sunny, but we had to wait half an hour for the cloud to pass. Then we did go swimming. We tried playing volleyball, but I apparently hit too hard while our friend Emily hits too soft, so we got all of nowhere. When that became apparent, we switched to diving contests which featured dives from Mancove, Emily, and I, and bizarre leaps from Ethan, Emily's little brother. When dinner time came around, so did every mosquito in the state of Connecticut (not that I minded since I've only been bitten once in my life... I'm a little mosquito repellent... better than bug spray) so we had to turn around and go back into the house. Dinner was directly proceeded by a game Ethan and Nicki like to play in which they pretend to be dogs and Emily jumped in, too. I pretended to be the shelter owner while Mancove was my best friend who helped me. But one thing lead to another and soon there was a ninja fight, an epileptic puppy, a psychotic vet, and an attempted murder... just a side note, if you ever want to play a normal game with me, don't. Mancove and I share runaway imaginations, so things never turn out normal.

After our... creative game, we got in the car for more driving, this time we drove all the way down to Long Island. We spent hours in the car, listening to our iPods (we got a CD to practice from for Beauty and the Beast) and reading our scripts as we rode. That lead to a very excluded Mancove, so we gave her a script and ran lines together with her to promote family unity... just kidding, it was so we wouldn't get a family unity lecture from our parents. We soon arrived in Long Island and I tried to blog, but i couldn't connect to the internet.

The next morning, we woke up and got ready to go to the beach. We drove to Robert Moses beach which was beautiful, despite the tiny, eroded beach which was jam-packed. If you didn't gather my passion for big and wild waves from my Cape May posts, I'll directly state it now. Robert Moses beach was nothing like Cape May. There were minimal waves and if there were any they crashed about a foot from the shore. But the water was practically crystal clear and a beautiful shade of blue-green, a completely flawless and endlessly consistant river of that water you only see in dreams, the water that lets you know it's a dream. The sand, although limited, was beautiful in its own way. It was a deep shade of purple and so thin it would get caught in the tiny creases in the skin of your hands. My sisters, father, and cousin built an awesome sand castle - no, sculpted an awesome sand castle - which looked magnificent. I was shocked that I had actually helped build - sculpt - it. It was one of those crazy awesome things you see on the beach that makes you just stop moving and stare for a bit. Later, Nicki and I danced and practiced in the sand. Nicki then put on a little show for my dad's cousin and her partner and their friends.

After the performance (accompanied by the soundtrack of JJ since Nicki can't harmonize with herself), we packed up to leave. But unfortunately, the fates were not with us on that. You see, there had been a car-crash on the bridge we had crossed to get to the beach and we were stuck. Yes, trapped like... things that get trapped a lot. We were stranded on that island with no exit. So it wasn't until 10 PM that we got home for dinner. And we were so hungry by then we would've eaten garbage, but dinner was fabulous (although there was a NYRA meeting at the same time, so I ate hurriedly) and soon after the meal I had to leave the meeting and drive home for hours.

And the day ended with me going to bed. Which I should do right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment