Wednesday, August 12, 2009

HHYT, Week 1, Day 3

Sorry I didn't blog yesterday. I was a little crushed. You see, as I predicted, I was NOT casted as Lumiere. And I know I said I'd be happy either way, but it was still a little deflating. And since I couldn't take out my unhappiness near Nicki (who was a thoroughly excited Chip) so I took it out on all you imaginary readers. Sorry about that.

Anyway, as you can tell, I was not Lumiere, so the rest of yesterday was kind of a blur... especially since I left early for a doctor's appointment. Oh, and... Denise? If you're one of my imaginary readers, congratulations. You deserved the part. You got it because you had the range for the part, and quite frankly, I didn't... and I was stupid and tried to belt when I knew I should've mixed... but yeah, that doesn't matter, congrats.

So today we ran through the opening number... for about an hour. You see, it turned out that I knew just as much as everyone else. And I left early. Which means everyone forgot/never learned their part. So a very stressed out Luke spent half the day re-teaching the scene (which means I'm basically all caught up). He got so annoyed with the overly talkative ensemble (I wanted to shove my fist down all of their throats but I refrained from such foolish behavior) he gave us the "It's your show, I've lost all patience, you wanna talk? Fine, tell me when you're done. We'll just tell your parents you don't want to do a show. It won't be me making a fool of myself up on that stage," spiel. Which is the most annoying thing ever created, because none of that's true. It's the director's show just as much as it is ours. And when we mess up, it hurts him, too. He's sacrificing his time for US. Sure, he's getting paid, but he's their because he loves what he does. And what he does is theater. So when we fail, he feels like he failed. And I see no point in lying to us about that. Oh, and Luke? If you're one of my imaginary readers, I'm sorry if I was disrespectful today. You're a great director.

Oh, I guess I never told you what my role is! I'm Narrator 1 (which is code for The Most Useless and Annoying Character, but who am I to complain, I've got my first lines! Well, aside from "Pet store!" and "I was the first woman on the moon, and believe me, it's really made of cheese.") and Fish Man (which is code for ensemble). And Nicki is, of course, Chip. But the fact that I have about 5 lines does not mean I don't spend time memorizing lines at night. But since I have this bizarre ability to remember things after reading or hearing them once, I memorize the whole play within a week every time I'm in a performance. So that makes me perfect understudy material if Denise should "suddenly become ill"... Just so you know, that was a joke, I don't want to be sued for poisoning a kid if by some strange stroke of fate she should actually get sick... wouldn't that be the very definition of irony? Anyway, I've memorized most of the lines (most of them word for word, but some more paraphrased much to my dismay), almost all of the songs (except Cogsworth's part in "Human Again" and parts of "Home" which is just an annoying song in my opinion), and a bit of the blocking, but I'll get better with that next week when we take it to the theater.

I guess Luke really did like my French accent, because this morning I was appointed accent coach. Which is a really scary thing since I'm not actually speaking in a French accent, I'm just mimicking the guy who plays Lumiere in the movie. But Denise asked me about some lines and it turns out I do a satisfactory job if I just say the line and then she repeats it. And it's a lot easier to be friends with her than I thought... last night I was afraid I'd feel awkward talking to her, but it was second nature. I don't even know what I was afraid of. Speaking of friends, Nicki has developed quite an attachment to Bridget.

That's all I've got to say today. Nothing interesting has happened in my life. I'm in theater mode. I eat, sleep, and breathe Beauty and the Beast. Which isn't that bad. I love being some one else, someone more exciting and different, the more unlike me the better. Of course, that's more fun when I'm pretending to be Belle or the Beast or Lumiere or Mrs. Potts or Cogsworth or anyone, really. Anyone other than the personality-less narrator. But I'm not complaining! I get to speak on stage! Which reminds me, I better memorize my lines for today.

Belle ran as fast as she could into the woods.
Belle took cover while the wolves turned and attacked the Beast.
Belle knew this was her chance to get away... to go home.

Yup, okay, I'm done.

What, I didn't say I was talking a lot! Three sentences is still words, and that's a step up for me. Sad, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment